Your abs are a vital part of every run, and we recommend you follow our best ab workout to ensure your core is rock solid. A strong core can improve your running in ways you never imagined. This is why I always find time to do abs.
Below are a few of my favorite abs workouts. They are basic, quick, and easy. So try them out, enjoy the pain, and know you are making yourself stronger for the your next run!
If you cannot hold for the entire minute duration, hold the exercise as long as possible. You will build your strength as you progress.
In order to get the best ab workout, start with the plank exercise. Planks helps you build up muscles in your abs and back, creating a strong and stable core.
1. Begin face down on the floor or on a yoga mat with your palms resting face down under each shoulder.
2. Pushing through your arms and feet, raise your body so that your weight is supported by your toes, and forearms. Make sure to keep your body alignment in check with a flat, not arched back.
3. Keep your abs engaged and tight, and hold the position for 1 minute.
4. Then, flip to right side, where your body is facing outward, and being supported only by your right forearm and right leg. Rest left foot on right calf, and left arm on your waist. Hold for 1 minute.
5. Return to original center plank, and hold for 1 minute.
6. Flip to left side, and repeat step 4 with opposite side. Hold for one minute.
7. Last, return to center plank for one minute.
The double crunch exercise is a great way to target your obliques while working on a super six-pack!
1. While lying on your back (on the floor, or on a yoga mat), extend both legs up, and bend at a 90 degree angle to the floor.
2. Place your hands behind your back, making sure that you do not pull your neck upward.
3. Lift your shoulders off of the ground, and crunch towards your knees while trying to keep your abs engaged and tight.
4. At the same time, crunch your knees in towards your chest, creating a double crunch movement with your body.
5. Lower your shoulders, and knees, allowing your body to slowly return to your starting position.
6. Complete 25 reps. Rest. Repeat twice more. Nice Work!
Bicycle crunches are a great ab workout for your entire abdominal core. These always get the best ab workout out of me!
1. While lying flat on the floor, or on a yoga mat, place both hands behind your head. Make sure that you do not pull your head forward during this exercise, but that your hands act as support to your neck.
2. Bring both legs up, and bend to a 90 degree angle to the floor.
3. Begin to slowly move your legs as if you are pedaling an invisible bike.
4. At the same time, tighten your abs, and bring your right elbow to meet your left knee when it is at the top of the pedaling motion. Then alternate, letting the left elbow meet the right knee when it is at the top of the pedaling motion.
5. Continue exercise for 1 minute. Rest and repeat twice.
If your back tends to hurt when doing crunches on the floor, this is a great exercise to offer a little more support for your back and spine without taking away the effectiveness of your abs workout.
1. Grab a pilates ball, and lie back with the ball hitting your lower back region, and support yourself with bent legs.
2. Place both hands behind your head for neck support, and tighten your abs. Centering most of the movement around your core, curl upward to with your shoulders and upper body.
3. Lower your upper body back onto the balls, and extend back slightly.
4. Repeat reps for 1 minute.
Implement this ab workout in your weekly workout routine and you will have a solid abdominal core in no time!
Following weight training routines is a great way to build new muscle tissue while resting your feet from yesterday's run. more...
Resistance training exercises are perfect for those wanting to avoid the costs of gym memberships while still getting an excellent workout. more...
Cardio training classes are a great way to cross train if you are preparing for a race, or just need to mix up your workout routine. more...
Mixing your regular running workouts with outdoor training is an easy way to improve your health, fitness, and endurance. more...